Sunday, April 08, 2012

Good Books: American Gods

American GodsAmerican Gods by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'd been wanting to read this for some time, so I was happy to find it at my local library. A bit melancholy but often wry and sometimes whimsical, it poses an interesting view of a world full of very fallible, contentious, and conflicted gods operating behind the scenes of our human lives. The protagonist stoically endures the attentions of a pantheon of lesser and greater deities and associated humans while traversing the more odd elements of the American landscape. I enjoy Gaiman's lyrical writing style, and really appreciate his ability to paint scenes of terrible majesty and fearsome loss with sensitivity instead of ponderous gloom. Don't pick this up looking for conventional theology of any kind, just ride the wave of storytelling.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment