Thursday, April 22, 2021

Yearly Check-In: relocation blues

This is not going to be another "2020 was a train wreck" essay. I'm sure many other bloggers have covered that. Suffice it to say that I've had no film work in over a year, other than virtual pats on the back and editorial contributions to artwork for the last two films I worked on before everything went haywire. See sidebar (R) for Burn it All and The Stairs (currently doing well on the festival circuit).

I'm actually ok with not working right now, because until the mask mandates are lifted I just can't do it. I'm not going to breathe my own exhaust for 14 hours a day because people are afraid of a virus with a 99% survival rate. Everybody I know who's had it was sick as a dog for a few days then got on with their life. The only people I know personally who've been hospitalized have been damaged by the vaccine, not the virus itself. Take your vitamins. Get fresh air and exercise. Turn off the "news". Live your life. End of speech.

In other news, the spouse and I are finally, really really, getting in gear to sell our current domicile and re-locate farther west to the Olympic Peninsula. The market is nuts right now. We'll never get a better price for our place. The downside is that because it's such a ridiculously disproportionate seller's market, it's a TERRIBLE buyer's market. Everything is overpriced and the pickin's are super slim. The other issue is that anything that goes up for sale is gone NOW, so you have to have cash in hand if you're serious. This means pre-qualifying for the loan to bridge the gap between buying and selling. Luckily, that gap won't be long, since we have a very desirable horse property to sell.

The most daunting part of it all, besides all the grown-up paperwork and bank stuff, is just thinning out our junk and packing it all up. Luckily, my health is better than it has been in years, so I think I'm up to the task. Up until about two years ago I was lucky to have enough energy to accomplish one or two things in a day, and then took a 1-4 hour nap in the afternoon to recover. Breaking my arm last October galvanized me into getting healthy and fit, because I was barely able to take care of myself for the first few weeks. Thank goodness I had some good friends who would show up once a week and re-braid my hair (or even wash it!) and help with stuff around the house. Everything is harder with one arm. I can't imagine how awful it would have been had I been super overweight or unfit to boot. I immediately got on boron, extra C, calcium, and a bunch of other supplements I had been slacking on. 

My ortho surgeon recommended a bone scan, and I came out of it with an osteopaenia diagnosis. Whoops. I immediately started walking and doing weights. I don't drink sodas, smoke, drink, or do other things that contribute to bone loss, so I'm hoping for good results by my next scan. I still have 30 lbs I'd like to lose, but I'm building muscle in the meanwhile. 

Anyway... the hunt is on for "that perfect place" over on the peninsula. Private, not right on a busy road, a few acres to mess around on. Scarcer than hen's teeth at the moment, but the Lord works in mysterious ways. I'm actually kind of glad there's nothing at the moment so we can get our ducks in a row and not be in a panic about it.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment