Friday, February 07, 2014

The cheapening of the vampire

Apparently NBC has a new series about, stop me if you've heard this one, a modern-day Dracula.  Anyway, it's called (are you ready?) "Dracula"! No, wait....don't leave. It's totally original! The vampires are sexy, you see, and... Where'd you go?

Yeah, me too.

Here's a nice review of it over at Salon, and by "nice" I mean critical and unflinching.

I can't help but agree with this guy. If you're going to write about a vampire(s), then make it be for a reason that calls for vampires. There's a problem with the cheap "he's sexy because he's a vampire" trope, and this also applies to the "pirates are sexy" trope that's been going on for even longer. It doesn't mean I don't love me some Douglas Fairbanks or Errol Flynn movies, but anybody who stops to think about what a vampire (or a pirate) really IS for half a minute is not going to find anything inherently sexy in either camp.

This doesn't mean vampire stories are passé‎ and nobody should ever write about them again, but I agree that the vampire as an instant embodiment of "brooding man with dark secret who just needs love to save his soul" has been done to, well, you know...death.

No comments:

Post a Comment