Monday, September 15, 2014

Chicken & Rice: the new, healthy version

And now, for something completely different: food!


Mom used to make a version of this that probably originated with a Campbell's soup ad in the 50s, since the principal ingredients other than "chicken" and "rice" were cream of mushroom and chicken gumbo canned soups. Oh, and a package of onion soup mix. I grew up on this and it's great hot or as a leftover (hot or cold). However.... packaged soups are full of really unhealthy ingredients. In the last few years I've noticed that I have serious GI issues after eating it, so I stopped making it. The other day I asked my spouse what some of his favorite foods were, and "chicken and rice" came up, so I decided to try to re-invent this thing without all the pasteurized milk, bad sodium, corn syrup, wheat thickener, MSG, and who knows what else. I think it's pretty darned good. Our local Costco is now carrying organic chicken, so it’s even better!

Remember: none of this is set in stone. Want to add peas? Hate mushrooms? Think it needs some celery seed? Go for it.

Oven to 350°

Ingredients:

2 cups of rice (I use brown, but you can use whatever you want)
4 cups of water & 1 tsp. bullion paste, or 2 cups of water and 2 cups of chicken stock
Half a large onion cut into chunks
2 carrots, diced
Some sliced mushrooms
2 celery stalks, diced
Some paprika
2 packages of onion soup mix (I use Trader Joe’s, because it isn’t full of weird stuff)
Chicken pieces, as many as you want to fit in there.

Directions:

In a 9x13 or equivalent baking dish/pan….

-  Stir up everything but the chicken and one of the packages of onion soup mix until distributed evenly.
-  Sprinkle some of the second soup mix on top.
-  Place the chicken in, pushing into the mix slightly.
-  Sprinkle the rest of the soup mix on top.
-  Cover with foil and bake for two hours. Take it out and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment