Friday, December 10, 2004

Bangers & Mash (& scones)

Drove up to Sacramento a few days ago to pick up some pike poles from a buddy of hubby's. We met at a cool pub called "Streets of London". If you live anywhere near Sacto and ever have a hankering for solid pub food, go there immediately! The mashed potatoes alone are worth the drive. Yellow, creamy, skins left in, heaps of dark gravy, "Practically their own food group!", to quote a favorite movie character of mine. Hard cider on tap. Did I mention the spuds? On Thursday we had to drive up again for another appointment, and the man decided we must have more spuds. I agreed. It's a good thing this place is an hour away.

Today, another anglophile pal (who just returned from the UK and brought us a spiffy tea towel from the V&A) paid us a visit, and I was inspired to make scones. I love scones. Tea is better with scones. Made with butter, almond meal in place of some of the flour, and eggs from our two goofy chickens, Henrietta & Iris. Raspberry jam from Trader Joe's (I've run out of the blackberry stuff I put up last Summer :-( ). Cool weather makes me hungry, can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment