Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Goats Across the Water

I've heard of "sister cities" but never sister goats, but I think I've just found the spiritual dopplegangers of the pair that live catty-corner across the road from us in a blog called "Momentary lapses of insanity... ":

"...I returned from a day off to find that during my short absence, a brace of goats had been installed in a pen in the garden.They were large, had horns, were brother and sister, and had been named Homer and Marge. ...I didn't know a lot about goats, but I soon found out that they are (or at least these two were) very friendly, permanantly hungry, omnivorous - vegetable and mineral, they will eat it - bloody minded, and could teach Houdini a thing or two about escapology."

Our neighbor's goats are constantly getting out of what passes for fencing around their yard. They are really sweet, but the blackberry vines are always sweeter on the other side of the fence...also the magnolia bushes and apple trees, as our other neighbors have discovered to their chagrin. The goat lady is kind of non-proactive so I doubt she's offered to pay for the damage. Luckily, a friend of hers has been helping her make improvements to her place, so the escapes have gone way down. Perhaps she noticed me installing rhododendrons in my front yard (deadly poisonous to goats).

Hey, at least the goats won't kill my chickens, like the local dog population seems hell-bent on doing. The coyotes, bears, cougars, eagles and hawks? No problem! The only predators that have bothered us have all been wearing collars (that means YOU, goat lady's stupid tomcat with the baaaad attitude and the flying pebble heading for your backside...)

No comments:

Post a Comment