Sunday, January 30, 2005

Box of Horses & Cock of the Walk

Yesterday (Saturday) we boxed up the horses and trailered over to Vacaville to the "Ranch Hotel & Stables" to do a little trail ride with some friends. For the first time Woody looked dainty, because our friend "Large William" (6'8") rides a dappled grey Shire named Ian. For you non horse fans, the Shire is one of the largest breeds in the world. Think a LARGE Clydesdale (Budweiser mascot). Taxi, my old mount, decided he was "in charge" and was downright frisky! At age 30 he still has what it takes to be a good cavalry horse, although his days of 6-day weeks on a film location are pretty much over.

There was a little banty rooster wandering around the stables who was very cute and friendly and let me pat him on the back. One of the gals there asked me if I wanted to take him home. I asked why and was told he had "spurred" some little kid the previous day. I can't imagine this sweet little guy doing anything unprovoked (neither could she: she suspects foul play on the part of the brat)...but I took him home anyway. Iris and Henrietta now have a pint-sized boyfriend, and the little man has an instant harem! Iris, naturally, tried to pick a fight. She lost. This is going to be very good for miss crabby chicken. He's not too noisy in the morning, but I'll still check with our immediate neighbors to make sure he isn't driving them nuts.

Because he is so dapper and plucky and sweet, his name is now "Bertie Rooster". If I come in to a big grey rooster he'll have to be "Jeeves", I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment